With an abundance of skincare options available, there can be a lot of confusion around the purpose of the products, their ingredients and the way to apply them. Regardless of their names, what matters in skincare products is what they are designed to do and what they contain. You are probably familiar with face toners and facial sprays (also known as face mists). But do you know they are two products that can take your skincare routine to the next level?
Are toners and facial sprays different?
Some of you may be wondering if these two products are different and whether you need them both. And the answer is yes.
Toners and face mists are different! Toners (also known as “cleansing lotions” in our line) are formulated to re-balance skin after you’ve washed your face while adding a weightless layer of complexion-boosting benefits to your skin. (Witch Hazel & Lavender Toner, for example, helps clarify and soothe skin in addition to sweeping away any remaining surface impurities.) Think of toners as part of your cleansing routine: the non-negotiable part two after you rinse off your go-to cleanser.
Our Facial Sprays are formulated to replenish and refresh your skin. True, our mists are great multi-taskers, but their primary purpose is to boost hydration and infuse botanical benefits (depending on facial spray you choose) into your skin care and makeup, too.
What is a toner and how to use it?
Toners have a water-like consistency and are usually applied gently with a cotton pad after cleansing the face. Years ago, traditional toners used to be drying and quite harsh on the skin but this remains in the past. Nowadays, toners are packed with skin-loving ingredients and provide a variety of benefits:
- Remove traces of impurities. It is really important to wash your face with a gentle cleanser and take off all the makeup, bacteria and pollution, built up throughout the day. Sometimes impurities can be a bit stubborn and toners come to the rescue to provide additional cleansing.
- Balance the pH of the skin. Often an irritation might occur or the new products you are trying could be a bit too harsh on your skin. The right toner will calm the skin and balance its pH level after cleansing. As a result, the rest of your skincare products absorb and perform better, as well.
- Target specific concerns. Face toners are formulated with actives and nutrients to soothe and replenish the skin and keep it youthful and healthy.
What is a facial spray?
Face mists can have a consistency quite similar to toners but they often come in a spray bottle, allowing you to gently spritz the mist all over the face and neck. They can be used pretty much anytime depending on the results you want to attain. Facial sprays are multi-tasking heroes that can be applied even on the go to achieve multiple effects:
- Nourish and moisturize the skin. Face mists are usually formulated with moisturizing and soothing ingredients to boost hydration and prevent moisture loss.
- Assist with your skincare routine. Facial sprays can be used between two steps of your regimen to enhance the effects of the products. Spritzing your facial mist after using toner and before applying your daily moisturizer will seal in the moisture and leave the skin looking visibly plump and radiant.
- Freshen up makeup. Face mists can be applied over makeup, as well. Facial Sprays are versatile because they can be used anywhere, any time of the day to freshen up your makeup, to achieve a dewy look or to get a serious boost of hydration in a dry environment.
How do you use both toner and facial spray in your routine?
Here’s how to incorporate both products into your skincare routine:
- Wash your face with a cleanser.
- Pat skin dry, then dampen a cotton ball or pad with toner. Sweep the cotton across your face in upward options (avoiding the eye area) until the cotton comes up clean.
- Liberally mist your face and neck with a Mario Badescu Facial Spray…
- While your skin is still dewy, apply your serum/moisturizer. Doing so helps give ingredients like Sodium Hyaluronate or Hyaluronic Acid (or other humectants found in your skin care) more water to bind to and draw into the skin—therefore maximizing moisturization.
Facial Mist and Toner Pairings
Toners and face mists are packed with beneficial ingredients to transform the way your skin feels and looks. Adding your preferred duo of toner and face mist to your routine will visibly restore and replenish the skin, leaving it looking smoother, fresher and more hydrated.
The hydrating and pore refining Witch Hazel & Rose Water Toner and Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs & Rosewater have the antioxidant power of Rose Extract and the hydrating touch of Aloe Vera to restore skin’s brightness and fight the visible signs of premature aging.
For skin that looks tired and lackluster the following duo is just the right one for you. The invigorating Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner and Facial Spray with Aloe, Cucumber and Green Tea will wake up dull skin and reveal rebalanced and dewy complexion.
If you and your skin are feeling a bit stressed, our calming Witch Hazel & Lavender Facial Toner and Facial Spray with Aloe, Chamomile and Lavender will help you relax and enjoy a hydrated and brighter look of your skin.